Thursday, April 23, 2009

Thinspiration

Okay-- that entry title is a little misleading. It should say, "Healthspiration," or, "Strongspiration" or something like that, because I'm not just looking to get thin, but I'll leave it as-is. It just sounds catchier.

I caught wind recently that a certain-theatre-show-that-shall-remain-nameless (for now) might be produced at one of my most favoritist local theatres this year. The theatre's website still says "TBD" under its fall show heading, but I'm hopeful that whatever rights or fees required will go through in time to allow this show to be produced, because it's FABULOUS.

Although I received my BA in Theatre and English, I am no avid theatregoer by any stretch of the imagination. I kind of wish I was. Then, I would be privy to all the theatre inside jokes and one-liners that fly around dressing rooms of the shows I work on-- not to mention being able to join in when a spontaneous rendition of "Can You Hear the People Sing?" breaks out.

Alas, the only reason I majored in Theatre was because I wanted to be a television actress; more specifially, a TV actress on primetime sitcoms. Sitcoms were and still are my favorite TV show genre. My childhood is littered with memories of Three's Company, Laverne & Shirley, Happy Days, The Cosby Show, Family Ties, and on and on. Now that I'm obsessed with shows like 30 Rock and Arrested Development, I can do without the canned laughter of yesteryear in my sitcoms. But that same comedy--that same glee that comes after hearing a fantastic joke or cutting quip--still gets me going today.

Despite having worked on at least 20+ shows in my life, I'm still very green when it comes to theatre. Sometimes theatre is not very fun to me. I even grimace and whine when I have to read some of the plays that I'm designing. For me, seeing some plays is a snorefest; reading them is total bore! I guess it's just not my favorite medium, having grown up on a strict diet of ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox.

But this play--the certain-theatre-show-that-shall-remain-nameless--is an exception. I saw this show in NYC back in 1998 with Josh when we were first dating. It was a very emotional time for me, as I was falling in love with someone I was almost certain I wouldn't really see again after he would inevitably transfer to CSLBU the following year and I would move to LA to become a staaaaah. Watching this show with him, at that time, was so moving and beyond words. I bought the soundtrack on CD, we would sing the songs to each other in the months that followed. I was totally theatre-geeky about this show, even though I've only seen it that one time. It's the only show that would bring me out of my self-imposed performance retirement; that is, if I was able to get a part. If I was able to get the part I WANT-- now, that might just hook me back into performing for good. :)

So this show is the reason for my "thinspiration." I need to get healthy again, voice and body. I need to be able to comfortably dance and sing simultaneously without getting winded, I need to be able to belt and hold notes like I used to when I was performing regularly with the wedding band, and I'd like to be more flexible and limber. Losing a few pounds wouldn't make me cry in my soup, either. I'm looking into local gyms, as well as amping up my walking/running routines and being better about the foods I eat. I should track my progress on this thing. I think I will.

2 comments:

  1. I think you should totally go for it! Any increase in aerobic activity will help you with your goal of being able to dance and sing without getting winded. Especially if you are a singer already and have theatre training, your body/lungs will respond favorably to the slightest increase!

    My "thinspiration" is my brother-in-law's wedding next year. They confirmed the date will be May 7, 2010. It's a destination wedding in Florida. So summer attire is going to be mandatory. I need to be able to show some skin without people trying to throw me back in the water before I dry out....

    Also, I recommend Better Off Ted if you'd like to add another quirky comedy to your list. I think it's hilarious. It comes on right before Lost on Wednesdays at 8:30.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! This website is pissing me off; I don't get notifications when people (i.e. you) comment on my blog. Arghh...

    Anyway, Todd's bro's getting married? That's cool. What are you doing to prepare? I know you started back on the points-counting. Is Todd going to join in the "thinspiration"? You guys need to do it together; it'd probably be more fun! Do you have any parks you like to walk around or something? Take the cats out for a nice walk around the neighborhood. :)

    I have seen the promos for that show but I haven't checked it out yet. We're just now getting into Gossip Girl-- it's so fluffy but I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete